Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Adios Colombia, hola Peru!

Yesterday Bill and I had a great day of more exploring but more importantly, a fabulous day of really good eating. We started our day at a lunch place called Carmen that was in the neighborhood where we were staying in Poblado. We both had exquisite meals and were super stoked about it. I had a steak in wine sauce with asparagus, spinach, and some other vegetable I didn't understand, recognize, and was too lazy to look up. Bill had some salmon atop black rice and some other crap I couldn't eat, so I didn't pay much attention to it but he said it wa amazing and the presentation was top notch. The total bill with drinks was about $24 USD per person. That same meal in San Francisco would have easily been $50-60 each. I've noticed, in general, everything is about half the cost of an equivalent item in the States.

After lunch we headed to Sabaneta. A sleepy and charming zone in the southern most part of Medellin, one stop from the end of the Metro. We got some fresh juice and just chilled our in the Parque Principal which is basically the epicenter of everything Sabaneta and is home to a big central church Iglasia de Santa Ana. We sat in the park for quite awhile just chilling and people watching. After people watching we decided to wander the streets of the town for a bit and then return back to our apartment via the Metro.

Yes, that says what you think it says. 




We ended the night with another amazing meal at Ocio, a high end spot also in the Poblado area. I had a nice cocktail (as in good by SF standards) and this fucking amazing roasted pork called Osso Bucco which had been roasting for 12 hours. Sashimi appetizer, dinner and cocktails was just about $45 USD. Oh, and my mind was a little blown... They sprinkled salt on the salmon sashimi, something I'd never experienced before but it was sooo perfect. I'm going to be preparing raw salmon like that at home! We ended the night with the Bogota Beer Factory, one of the only (if not the only) craft beer place in Medellin. Craft beet is not popular at all here. I, of course, had tequila  but Bill reports the beer was as good an any other California craft beer.

We just chilled out the rest of the night in our apartment and turned in early. I was determined to get more than 4 hours sleep and I accomplished my goal. I don't think I got out of bed until 10. Felt good and was much needed and appropriate considering our next destination, 100km down river from Iquitos, Peru in the Amaon!

2 comments: